Friday, July 9, 2010

Park West

This is a blurry photo of Catie Curtis at the Park West theater. She was there to open for Mary Chapin Carpenter, who I have not seen before. Both performers were fantastic, as is the venue. Catie played for about 45 minutes and was good. I have seen her twice in a small venue that holds about 300 people. This place is considerably bigger and I thought she did a good job to fill it up. Until Mary Chapin Carpenter came on stage. Don't get me wrong, Catie was good, but she was solo (one supporting vocalist) and most of the crowd did not appear to know her music. Mary Chapin Carpenter was very good - her voice is deep and velvety smooth. She filled up the place with some extra star cred that Catie can't pull off in that crowd. She played a number of old favorites and about 6 songs off her new cd. Her supporting band was also very good - piano, bass, electric cello, steel string guitar, acoustic guitar and drums. I would definitely go see her again. And Catie, too!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome venue - I think my favorite in Chicago so far. And MCC's voice was so deep and velvety. Really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete