Monday, December 13, 2010

Full moon

I know I love a lot about Philly, but this is possibly my favorite fountain in Philly. This is Logan Square, which is actually a circle. A few years ago they had to cut down all the hundred year old trees in the square because they had caught some rare tree disease and the city did not want it to spread to the trees lining the Ben Franklin Parkway (to the art museum). I remember how naked the fountain looked after the trees were removed. The city put in a lot of low shrubs and flowers and the square looks amazing. On the east entrance to the square there is a bronze plaque that tells the history of the square - which was used as a place for hangings. It was also a burial place for victims of yellow fever. Strange that a place with such a dark history is now so light and beautiful.

I love to look through the fountain, west up the Ben Franklin Parkway to the art museum. I give this fountain a slight edge over the Buckingham Fountain, but not enough to award any points.

1 comment:

  1. You always surprise me, east coaster. This fountain is WAY better than Buckingham, IMHO

    ReplyDelete