Saturday, January 15, 2011

Ice shelf and the ambitious hike

A full day on Saturday without plans. A luxury. So I decided that it would be a good opportunity to try to find a place to use the snowshoes. Sorry, not enough snow anywhere within two hours. I decided to settle for a hike in the Indiana Dunes. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I'm relatively fit so I wasn't too scared.

The first 2.7 miles are east on the beach of Lake Michigan. The I don't think the lake ever completely freezes, but it freezes along the shore - about 50 yards out - and forms an ice shelf. I have a picture of my grandmother, circa 1920, standing on an ice shelf in Lake Ontario, but I had never seen it in person. It's very cool. And also very dangerous. Somewhere along the way, I lost my Yak Trax - like tire chains for your shoes to help you walk on the ice. They just fell off my boots. I didn't notice it until I nearly slipped on a patch of ice.

I missed the trailhead at mile 2.7 and did an extra quarter mile or so on the beach and had to backtrack. Once I found the trailhead, I hiked up through a drift of snow and then climbed a dune (about 100 feet) in snow about 10 inches deep. Once off the beach, there was no wind and the only sound I could hear was my heart pounding my chest after the climb. I did about 2.5 miles in the deep snow, which was much harder than walking on the packed sand!

The last mile was up two of the tallest dunes in the park. I can't wait to go back in the summer and run that trail! When I came over the top of the second dune the lake was spread out in front of me with the last orange of the sunset fading off to the west. Down to the beach for another half mile on the sand. Guess what I found? Yup! One of my Yak Trax!

Once in the car, I took 3 advil to help ward off the aches and pains that were beginning to set in. And now, about 45 minutes later, the Snow and ice on the bottom foot of my pants has thawed into a sandy chilly mess.

Overall, a pretty ambitious hike and a great time! No serious injuries to report and, hopefully, some good pictures.

1 comment:

  1. About 4 times harder than expected. But a great day - and finished just before the sun set!

    ReplyDelete