Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Proper use of comprise

Here is something that I learned this week. Ok, I didn't really learn it so much as refresh it. I spent Monday reading a number of articles from various journals, some more respected than others. I was really interested in one particular article, that is until about half way through the second page. In one and a half pages, the authors had misused the word comprise twice. I'm no grammar whiz, but I was also upset by a sentence that had a singular noun and a plural verb. Hmm... I had to look up comprise, just to make sure I got it right. I did. And now I'm going to share it with you.

The parts comprise the whole. Or, the parts are comprised in the whole.
The whole comprises the parts. Or, the whole is composed of the parts.

The following is never correct: the whole is comprised of the parts.

I realize that I'm opening myself up to ridicule, criticism and scrutiny. So be it. But be gentle.

1 comment:

  1. Good thing "chilling out about wrong grammar" was not our your new year's resolution list!

    Also, your definition has caused my tiny brain to be composed of many confused bits.

    ReplyDelete