Saturday, January 29, 2011

Questions, comments, current events

When I was in high school, I took six years of Latin. Ok, I didn't repeat two grades, I actually started Latin in seventh grade. My school offered language classes in Latin, French and Spanish. I had to put them in the order of my preference. I put a 1 next to French, a 2 next to Spanish and left the space in front of Latin blank. Of course, I was put in Latin. When I got to high school, I stayed in Latin rather than switching to one of the other languages offered. Although I regret that choice now, I do have some funny memories of my high school Latin class.

One of those memories is that my teacher, the football coach, started every class by saying, "questions, comments, current events?" We also had EYH Fridays, those were some fun classes. Here, then, are my current questions, comments and current events.

Questions (rhetorical or otherwise):
1. Should a merino wool sweater begin to pill after wearing it only 4 times to work?
2. Does a review of a non-fiction book (a biography no less) require a spoiler alert warning?

Comments:
1. One day this week my commute took a record time of 18 minutes - from locking my front door to setting my bag down on my desk in the office (after stopping to buy a huge soda). I've been tracking my commuting time lately and it seems that I usually take about 22-26 minutes to commute by bus/el (again, including the huge soda). I guess that's not too bad.
2. I recently started reading Leviathan. I read during my commute on the el, which is usually about 12-14 minutes each way. In that time, I read about 5 pages, which means I read about 10 pages a day. At this rate, I won't finish until September.
3. Don't wear a suit/sports jacket to work under your waist-length down jacket. I don't care if it IS jeans Friday, that's just unacceptable.

Current Events:
1. The weather. Not here, but back east. We have had a pretty bearable winter so far - temperatures for the most part in the mid 20s with very little snow. Back east, they have been hit by back to back to back storms that have dropped a foot or more each. I would really love just one big storm here so I could use my snowshoes. Otherwise, it's back to Boyne Mountain . . .
2. This time of year there are a few big events - the Australian Open tennis tournament and some final football game. Two years ago, we were in Ixtapa, Mexico, during these two events. That was a pretty good idea - go somewhere warm and sunny during the coldest stretch of the winter. I'm going to save my vacation days so we can do that again next year!

1 comment:

  1. I love this post! I want to go to Boyne mountain AND somewhere warm.

    In response to your questions:

    Q1. What are you doing at work? Is your chair made out of velcro?
    Q2. It depends if there is something to spoil. The Titanic sank = not a spoiler. The Titanic was actually made out of cheese = potential spoiler.

    ReplyDelete