Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Danger!

'Tis the season for visiting with family and friends and leaving your homes empty -- just the thing for which thieves are giving thanks!  I was on my way out of the house this afternoon to buy some last-minute things for my Bon Appettit Thanksgiving extravaganza when I saw a young man walking down the sidewalk.  I made some comment to him about the weather, to which he did not respond.  He looked a little suspect, so I sort of hesitated getting into the car.  After a minute or so, he walked back up my street, saw me and then turned around.  I pulled out of the driveway and saw him slowly walking up the main street.  I crossed the street and did a u-turn in my car.  I saw him walking toward me, then he saw me and turned the other direction.  I followed him for a short distance and then doubled back to my house, guessing that he would work his way back to the alley behind my house.  I bumped into a couple from down the street and then, sure enough, the mystery man entered the alley and continued to walk right by the three of us.  Hmmm... not so smart, and definitely up to no good.  They suggested that I call the police and I went back to the house and called 9-1-1.  I stood outside and talked with a neighbor and, again, the mystery man walked back up my street.  A fancy new-looking car pulled up the street, he hopped in and the car drove to the end of the block, picked up another guy, did a u-turn and headed back down to where I was standing.  Mystery man jumped up and headed out to the main street while the car waited. . .  Then the police car pulled up and the fancy sports car took off.  The police took off, but didn't catch the car or the man.  They came back to talk with me.  I gave them essentially this account of the interaction and they told me to call if I saw anything suspicious.  The officers were nice, but their advice that I should not worry and just lock my door was not very comforting.  I guess I expected them to say that they would patrol the area, but they did not.  I should take some comfort, however, from the fact that there is almost always a police car about a block away to pull people over for making an illegal right on red.

In short, I hope you have a safe and happy Thanksgiving and, if you travel, that when you return home, it is just as you left it.


1 comment:

  1. eek. perhaps they were drawn to the delicious turkey + sides smells coming from the house! jl

    ReplyDelete