Sunday, November 29, 2009

More colored trees

This is about the sixth time I have blogged about a window display
from this store. As you can see, they have jumped on the fake colored
Christmas tree bandwagon. Whatever happened to the natural evergreen
that was grown and groomed for its entire life to be sacrificed as a
backdrop for a pile of presents? Oh, yeah, that's not so green, is
it? I guess if you're going to have a fake tree, you may as well pick
a crazy color that looks good in your livingroom. As for me, I will go
to Dominick's and buy another green foot tall tree for $12 and then
plant it in my backyard when the season is over. It worked well last
year. Maybe I'll take a picture and write a blog post about it.

Believe me, this little tree was exponentially easier than when I had
a six foot live tree with a root ball. That was a little bit of a
nightmare. I ended up taking the tree to my sister's in the middle of
January in Philadelphia. Actually, I drove it out there one day when
she was out of town and dropped it on her porch. (yes, we had talked
about it beforehand) Her husband used a pick axe to dig a hole in the
frozen ground and dropped the tree in the hole, frozen roots and all.
Everyone thought the little tree would die, but it survived and
thrived!! Little tree is still growing on their property! All in
all, though, I recommend opting for the $12 tree in a planter - it is
much less work and much less disappointing if it doesn't survive.
Next summer, I hope to have two new little trees in my backyard. If
I'm still blogging, I'll take a picture and write a blog entry. If
not, I'll just take the picture and send it to the three of you who
are reading this blog. :)

1 comment:

  1. Wow, East Coaster, you really hate colored trees, eh? What if Dominick's has a $12 red or blue or pink tree this year? Hey - it could happen -- genetic mutations are always popping up -- take, for example, clementine oranges. Did we have those when we were kids? Nope. So maybe we'll have live red, blue, or pink Christmas trees in the future...

    Also, that six foot tree with a rootball WAS a disaster. Remember we had to build a ramp to get it up a 6 inch stair into our apartment? Serious stuff. It ain't easy being green. jl

    ReplyDelete