Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Expo!

Back in January I got an innocent email: sign up for the Chicago marathon! At the time, it sounded like a good idea. I had been running consistently and relatively injury-free. I signed up. My first two marathon experiences had been largely unsatisfying and I thought I was in a better position this time around.

What sounded like a good idea ten months ago started sounding less good as the actual date approached. 10.10.10 - the "date to motivate" loomed in front of me. My training went fairly well and I was in pretty good shape the week before the race. I started to get nervous a few days before and by the time I went to the race expo on Saturday to pick up my number, I was regretting signing up. To make matters worse, the temperature was predicted to be unseasonably warm - sunny and mid eighties.

This picture was taken at the entrance to the expo. Over 45,000 fit athletic folks registered for the marathon. And this is the food the organizers offered them.

The expo was the biggest one I have seen. There were a number of vendors, big and small, and some cool running gear. However, weekend warriors like me were sad that they didn't have any marathon shot glasses!

No comments:

Post a Comment