Thursday, March 25, 2010

Disaster!

Ok, so maybe I should have learned. But I didn't. One of my new
colleagues and I decided to run home from work together today.
Unfortunately, she had to cancel. No big deal, I can run by myself.
But I couldn't decide whether to run through the city (lots of traffic
and pedestrians) or on the lake front (potentially windy but no
traffic). I opted for the latter. Bad decision. First, I got lost
trying to get to the lake front. No worries, eventually I made it. But
it was very windy. Seriously. The wind blew me sideways as I struggled
to run in a straight line. I made it to lake shore and the wind was
now squarely in my face at about 35 mph. At one point, I was trying
to run forward and picked up my right foot, but the wind blew so hard
that I actually stepped backward. All this is nothing when compared to
the disaster.

I passed navy pier and headed to the scene of the crime - the place
where inde tripped me up a month ago. The lake was rough and the waves
were crashing over the sidewalk and sand was blowing in my eyes. I
bravely continued. Partly because the subways were flooded so I could
not cross under lake shore. When I reached the curve (aka the scene of
the crime), I realized that the water was flooding the path. I tried
to time my run in between waves. It didn't work. I turned the corner
and encountered water up to my ankles in front of me, so I stopped. I
looked to my right and saw a wave about to crash over the path so I
started running as fast as I could. No luck. The wave crashed over the
wall and the water rose up to my knees. For a second, I thought I
would be swept into the lake. Nope. But I was soaked. I couldn't feel
my feet as they hit the pavement. 5.5 miles to go. Nope. I took the
bus. I still had to run a half mile after freezing on the bus. Overall
- near disaster. This picture does not do it justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment