Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Save the beer!

I've done this once before and thought I'd learned my lesson. Turns
out I had another lesson to learn.

The first part of this plan went off without a hitch - drive around
Michigan sampling beer and buying my favorites to bring back to
Chicago to share with friends. Check. Last time I tried this, it was
three degrees below zero and I had to bring all the beer inside my
mother's house so that it would not freeze and be skunked. No problem!
It's March and the temperatures are in the 40s. The experts at the
breweries assured me the beer would be ok as long as it didn't get
above 50 and my car was in the shade. Two problems: it's 55 without a
cloud in the sky and there is not one shady parking spot on the
grounds of this resort.

If you have some serious cash invested in excellent craft brews, you
cannot take a chance. I debated for about a minute - gym then swim in
the outdoor heated pool or drive into "town" to buy a cooler. Easy
choice. I headed into town. Three coolers and one additional six pack
later and I'm back in the parking lot filling coolers with beer and
snow.

2 comments: