Wednesday, February 24, 2010

It's official

I am no longer unemployed. I have accepted an offer of full time employment with a start date of 3/22. Now, I better get serious about my "to do" list!

If you know me, you know that the last two months have been very hard on me. After 20 years of working non-stop (even through back surgery), I suddenly had nothing to do and all day to do it. As a friend in the same boat described it to me, "I wake up in the morning and the rest of the world has started the day without any care that I am not in it." Thanks to all of you who have stood by me and supported me. I tried to stay positive and focus on positive things like running, cooking, baking and playing tennis, but I know I failed, often and gloriously. Frequently, I was not very fun to be around. So, thanks to those who stood by me and supported me on a daily basis. On a brighter note, I can use your help now motivating me to get through my to do list! Here it is, in no real order of importance:

1. The vinyl conversion project - see below. Very time consuming, but I'm making progress.
2. The beer cap / label / blog project - this will be a huge effort and does not even include making a bar and decorating it. Yikes!
3. Hair cut - DONE!
4. Running - create a racing / training schedule. So far, I'm signed up for the Soldier Field 10 miler.
5. Tennis - Get back out on the court and make-up my missed classes!
6. Reading - finish my Christmas present - Falls the Shadow (I'm about half way through)
7. Reading - Re-read Harry Potter 7 so I'm ready to critique the movie.
8. Cooking - make cream of potato soup. Yummy.
9. Vacation - take a vacation!! After I start work, I will only get two weeks. Two weeks? Really? Yet another reason I wish that I had been born in Europe.
10. Sleep - I think I'll need it!

There you have it. I know there are more things I want to do, but this already is an ambitious list. Let me know if you want to take on one of the items.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations East Coaster!! Where's the new Dyson and vacuuming project? What about the boxes in the garage? And crumbs on the counter? Buying skinny hipster work pants? More importantly, will I starve when you go back to work? More importantly, will my work colleagues?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, Joy...I think East Coaster asked about taking on some of the items, not adding to the list. And since I am not taking any on, I will not add.

    And I agree -- two weeks vacation is not nearly enough. I too am still trying to get used to the idea after being accustomed to a month (at least) of vacation for the past several years.

    I would like to also acknowledge all the wonderful baking that I have been the beneficiary of. Thanks!! -rs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I comment on this? You are my first official blog, you have taken my blog viginity, I hope this makes you proud (though I see this wasn't on your list of things to accomplish, well done anyway!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was Lianne my the way, all the way from London. It is 5am, I am at work and have an awesome view of St.Pauls cathedral, truely spectacular and a definate photo opportunity. As you, I am also into photography. I love knowing that in years to come, when so many things have passed by, these little motionless snippets of our memories, will always be there for.

    PS. Can not wait for Chicago photos.

    Oh and your 2 weeks holiday can be spent with us anytime. I would love to take you both around to see the sights of my fair land!

    ReplyDelete