Thursday, February 18, 2010

Project vinyl conversion

I have this fairly extensive collection of vinyl. Like most music
lovers of my generation, I have a lot of "standards" such as U2 (War,
Unforgettable Fire), the Police (Ghost in the Machine), well, you get
it. Most of these have been replaced by CDs. However, I also have a
bunch of 12" singles from the new wave invasion such as the Smiths,
the Alarm, Love and Rockets, etc. The cool thing about many of these
is that they were (1) not available on the album because they were
live recordings or extended versions; or (2) there is something cool
about the actual vinyl - for example it's purple or has a photo on it.
Many of these previously unavailable versions have since become
available on cd. And the cool vinyl is sort of lost forever.

I also have a number of albums that I inherited from my older sister.
I believe that some of these are no longer available. These include
Jethro Tull, Jimi Hendrix, Peter Frampton, the Rolling Stones (Sticky
Fingers - you know what I'm talking about). About four years ago I
bought a turntable to convert selected vinyl to digital. Today, I
finally started this project. I picked Jethro Tull as my first album.
After some difficulty setting up the player and installing the
software, I carefully pulled the album from the special protective
sheath that I purchased 30 years ago and placed it on the turntable.
Now, I'm blasting Teacher, Aqualung, Thick as a Brick and Bungle in
the Jungle. It really takes me back. I'm psyched that this actually
works, but not excited about: (1) manually entering the track breaks
as it converts, (2) manually entering the track information. There is
something nice about the little crackling you get when you listen to
vinyl.

This project should take me well into the summer. It took me almost a
year to load my 1,200 CDs into iTunes and that was largely automatic
after inserting the cd.

1 comment: