Thursday, September 3, 2009

Meramec cavern - hideout of Jesse James

So my self-exploration trip finally involved some exploration! About
10 minutes outside St. Louis, I saw a billboard for this cavern. I had
enjoyed exploring caverns in Virginia when I was a kid, so I decided
to brave the short drive off the highway through deliverance country
to explore this famous cavern. At first I was disappointed because the
sign outside said they closed at 7:30 and it was already 7:11, but I
learned that the last tour started at 7:30 so I was just in time!
Turns out, I was the only person for the tour so I got a private tour
of 7 levels of the cavern. Pretty cool. This photo has both
stalactites and stalagmites, but is also a reflection on the pool of
water in which the stalagmites are standing.

The cavern was cool and my guide was very knowledgeable. Overall, the
cost benefit analysis of this tour, which cost me $18, puts it ahead
of the budweiser tour - and that was free!! Maybe it's because I felt
a little bit like the outlaw jesse James.

I have a bunch of cool photos on my camera that I hope to add when I
get home.

No comments:

Post a Comment