Thursday, September 10, 2009

The Cider Mill

I worked at the cider mill for two fall seasons while I was in high
school. I think this was my favorite job ever, although being a lawyer
has been a close second so far. I worked the register over 20 years
ago, but remembered the codes for a half a dozen doughnuts and a quart
of cider. More impressive is that the codes haven't changed! I was
disappointed because they were not pressing cider or making doughnuts.
I had a fresh quart of cider and a powdered sugar doughnut. Both were
as good as I remembered.

My least favorite job at the cider mill was putting the sticks in the
apples that would become candy apples. It sounds easy, and for the
first five or six, it feels easy, but try doing 250 apples in an hour
and your hands will really hurt.

I enjoyed going back, but it also made me sort of sad. I have not
found anything like the cider mill in my adopted home and I doubt I
will.

No comments:

Post a Comment