Saturday, September 5, 2009

Rural is rural

I'm enjoying my trip to the northeast, which started with a weekend in
rural northeastern PA.

I went for my first run since the Madison half marathon. I did about
7.5 miles around the lake and then over to a neighboring lake, which
is surrounded by a number of steep hills. The run was good after I
shook off the stiffness and soreness that was left over from last
weekend. We'll see how I feel over the next few days now that the
post- run euphoria has worn off.

Out on the run I saw something that reminded me that rural is rural,
regardless of the region. I was running by a parked beat up car with
the paint peeling off the hood. A man walked out the door of his house
drinking from a 40 ounce miller light, which he set in the cupholder
of the car before racing off down the dirt road.

I ran back to Crystal Lake and was taking the road between the golf
course and the lake. I realized that the golf club had cut down about
90% of the trees between the course and the lake. I guess they wanted
to make sure that the golfers have a good view of the lake as they
zoom by in their carts. Unfortunately for me, it also resulted in a
lot less shade when I could really have used some!

Anyway, I made it back safely and then headed out to buy a sandwich
from my favorite local grocery store- pictured above. I hesitate to
say that my favorite sub might be from this little town in the sticks.

No comments:

Post a Comment