Thursday, September 10, 2009

I look like my passport photo

I think it was Erma Bombeck who said that she knew it was time to go
home when she looked like her passport photo. Well, I have two
corollaries to her theory.

First, my passport photo is not bad, but my driver's license is
horrendous. It is more fitting for me to reference my driver's license
because I was exploring the U.S. (even though Arkansas feels very
foreign). I'm not attaching a photo, but trust me, I look like my
driver's license so I knew it was time to go home.

Second, you know it's time to go home when your eyebrows have grown
together. Maybe this is more a comment on the quality of the hotels at
which I have stayed in the last few days. Since my first night in the
luxurious Hilton in St. Louis, I have not stayed in a room with one of
those lighted magnifying mirrors. As a result, I was ready to head
home to use my mirror (for about half an hour).

I'm also ready to sleep in my own bed for the first time in ten days.
I would say that I hope I sleep past five, but I'm getting up early to
play tennis. I hope to have a chance to reflect on my journey tomorrow
and maybe even post some thoughts on what (if anything) I've learned
about the Midwest, my job, my relationship, my new life here and
myself. I think I can fit it in a sentence or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment